Monday, March 25, 2013

Crochet blankets

I've been fairly busy lately, but unfortunately not doing anything worth blogging about. Yesterday I planted my garden and today I worked on digging out our burn pit a little more. I was just about to sit back and relax with some crocheting (which isn't really far enough along to be exciting), when I realized that I could talk about my last crochet project, which is my favorite so far. I'm pretty new to crochet so baby blankets are my favorite thing to make. They are quicker than regular sized blankets and much easier than anything that has a specific shape or size. Plus, they make excellent gifts. I got this pattern through Pinterest and you can get it here for free. It looks a bit complicated at first, but after you do all of the steps once, you'll have it memorized. It's pretty much the same row over and over and you just shift it a few stitches every three rows.


Anyway, it's lightweight, which makes it go fairly quickly and use very little yarn. Also, it's perfect here in Florida where you need to swaddle your baby without overheating him or her. I used Loops and Threads Snuggly Wuggly Big! baby yarn from Michaels. It sells for about $10 per skein. I always go to their website on my phone and use the 40% off coupon (They will scan it right off your phone so you don't need to plan ahead and remember to print it) This blanket took about half of one skein, so this blanket only cost me about $3 to make. I will definitely make many more of these for future gifts.

Right now I am working on a granny square throw blanket for my son's bed. He loves bright colors, so I think this will be perfect when I'm done. I haven't been crocheting much lately, so who knows how long that will take though...



No comments:

Post a Comment