Thursday, March 21, 2013

Panoramic Easter Eggs - Part 3 of 3 - Putting it all together

In case you missed parts 1 and 2:
Panoramic Easter Eggs - Part 1 of 3 - Making frosting flowers
Panoramic Easter Eggs - Part 2 of 3 - Making the sugar eggs

We finished making our panoramic Easter eggs yesterday. I was very impressed with how well my son did with his. He's not quite 2 years old, so I wasn't sure if he'd really get it or if I'd basically just be making them myself while constantly trying to keep him from eating the frosting flowers. Anyhow... I started out by figuring out what scenes I was going to make inside the eggs. My husband helped since I have very little imagination. This one was his idea:


When I was growing up, we always used plastic Easter grass and just glued it down with white frosting. I don't buy plastic Easter grass because I'm afraid my cat will eat it, so we just used green frosting. I actually liked doing it this way much better. It wasn't unruly like the plastic grass, and the frosting grass can be used to hold the figurines in place. Just pipe it in (I used a #4 tip), and then press the figurines down where you want them. I did have to put a little bit of extra frosting behind the chicks in the top photo to hold them in place, but everything else just stuck where I set it.

After your scenes are finished, it's time to glue the top half of the egg on. You want to use a fairly thick line of frosting. I used a #7 tip to squeeze a wide line. Then press the top of egg on. It probably won't line up perfectly, but as long as they are close you won't be able to tell once you put the flowers on.



 



Your next step is to pipe frosting around the seam and opening and press your frosting flowers and leaves into place. Once this is done, you can decorate the top of your eggs, again piping on frosting and pressing on your pre-made frosting flowers.






This is a very fun Easter activity for kids, though it is a lot of work for Mom. I feel it is worth it because the eggs make a good Easter decoration and can be eaten or stored to display next year. My mom has 20 year old sugar eggs that she displays every year and they still look the same as they did when we made them as kids. If you decide to make them with your kids, make sure you don't expect too much, and (especially if you let them hold the frosting bag) don't expect everything to stay clean. If your child isn't old enough to help make the frosting flowers, he probably shouldn't be expected to pipe on his own frosting. Even young children can place frosting flowers on the eggs if you put the frosting on the egg first. My son will be two years old in two months and he told me what color flowers he wanted and pressed them into place. For the top of the egg, he also pointed to where he wanted me to put the dots of frosting that he would press his flowers into. He did try to eat a few of the flowers, but after I stopped him he started asking "eat?" every time he picked up a flower. When I told him no, he would put it in place instead. After he was done, I let him eat a couple of flowers since he was so good.




No comments:

Post a Comment